BREBEUF JESUIT MISSION STATEMENT
The Mission of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School, which is Jesuit, Catholic, and Interfaith, is to provide an excellent college preparatory education by preparing its students for a lifetime of leadership in service to others as men and women who are intellectually competent, open to growth, loving, religious, and committed to promoting justice. In pursuit of the Mission, Brebeuf Jesuit affirms two essential principles: the education of the whole person and the care of the person.
Full-time college counselor position with an average caseload of 45 students per grade level.
This position reports to the Director of College Counseling.
(Note: The following list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. Others may be assigned, subject to reasonable accommodations.)
- Conduct individual college counseling sessions with junior and senior students and their parents to discuss and formulate college plans.
- Prepare recommendation letters and secondary school reports. Edit student applications and provide guidance to ensure students are presenting themselves and Brebeuf Jesuit in the highest regard.
- Coordinate with Academic Counselors to provide a four-year program of advising and support to assigned students in meeting their academic and growth goals.
- Teach sophomore students in College Counseling Seminars (seminars meet once a week and there is a text and quizzes, focused on the mechanics of the college search and application process).
- Participate with other College Counselors in activities of the Ignatian Scholars Program.
- Create and implement developmentally suited information programs for students and parents addressing current issues in the areas of college planning, college admission, transition adjustment, and financial assistance.
- Establish and maintain productive and successful relationships with college admission representatives. Articulate Brebeuf Jesuit’s program of study and services to college admission officers to support the school’s image of excellence.
- Visit colleges and universities to become familiar with their programs, services, and admission policies. This includes travel to visit college campuses and attending professional development programs when approved by supervisor.
- Participate in various evening programs throughout the year, including, but not limited to, College Application Workshops for seniors, grade-level family evening programs for parents, Evening with Colleges annual event, Brebeuf open houses, Colleges Coast-to-Coast program sophomore college bus trip, college fairs, etc.
- Provide guidance and support to the faculty in writing letters of recommendation.
- Provide guidance and support to the English faculty in having junior students write a draft college application essay at the end of the year.
- Create appropriate print materials for college counseling and college admission projects.
- Actively participate in professional development. Attend national and state meetings pertaining to college counseling. Maintain active involvement in local, state, and national professional college admission organizations.
- Ensure that all services and programs meet the highest ethical and professional standards in accordance with the principles of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and reflect the values of Jesuit education
- Sensitivity to and appreciation for diversity, with demonstrated ability to relate to individuals with compassion.
- Ability to excel in a team environment.
- Excellent writing, speaking and communication skills.
- Proficiency in use of technology as it applies to college counseling.
- Ability to work as part of a team but manage own responsibilities with minimal oversight.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience interacting with young adults and their families, school administration, and college admission offices.
- Master’s degree
- Prior experience with Naviance college counseling software
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
Application deadline: April 26, 2019
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.