BREBEUF JESUIT MISSION STATEMENT
Brebeuf Jesuit, a Catholic and Jesuit school, provides an excellent college preparatory education for a lifetime of service by forming leaders who are intellectually competent, open to growth, loving, religious and committed to promoting justice. Fostering a culture of understanding and dialogue, Brebeuf Jesuit seeks and welcomes students from diverse religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Students at Brebeuf Jesuit are called to discover and cultivate the fullness of their God-given talents as a responsibility and as an act of worship.
Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School seeks a Makerspace Director to lead our High School Technology and Arts based makerspace program. Ideal candidates will have experience managing a makerspace, as well as teaching, program management, or other equivalent experience. The makerspace program emphasizes the Jesuit educational philosophy of learning based on real-world experiences and opportunities for reflection. The makerspace director will report directly to the school’s Chief Information Officer and will be a part of the technology team. This is a 12-month position.
Makerspace Director Job Description
Click here to download a packet to learn more about this position.
The Makerspace Director will:
- Facilitate hands-on projects with students; team-teach with classroom teachers. Create opportunities and programming in the makerspace, including partnering with outside organizations and experts as appropriate.
- Manage an inclusive, diverse, safe, and creative space for teaching, learning, and making. This includes developing student leadership opportunities within the program and maintaining a creative environment that is organized and inviting.
- Be responsible for scheduling uses of the space by individuals and classrooms, managing inventory, and equipment upkeep.
- Plan and lead workshops and demonstrations for faculty and students.
- Moderate or assist with STEM-related co-curriculars, particularly the robotics competition team, film and video production crew, and/or a newly forming e-sports team. (This position will require some afternoon/evening or weekend work. Co-curricular positions may receive additional compensation).
- Work with the IT team and the student tech team during summers on makerspace and building-wide networking and computer maintenance projects.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the CIO.
- Must be a flexible and collaborative team member who can support, inspire, and motivate others and provide a vision for inspiring student creativity and innovation.
- A well qualified candidate may identify as a teacher, designer, inventor, scientist, scholar, or any combination that shows a capacity for learning and making.
- A strong record of research and practice, a willingness to take risks, a desire to look beyond traditional disciplines, and a dedication to making a difference in the world.
- Proven experience with interdisciplinary and innovative curricular design and partnership.
- Experience working with adolescents.
- Enthusiasm for exploring new trends and tools for learning. A “problem-solving mindset” with demonstrated ability to overcome design challenges.
- Experience using media, design, and digital fabrication tools and software which could include but is not limited to 3D printing, laser cutting, embroidery and jewelry making, etc.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in inquiry-based learning and cooperative learning with a focus on a student-centered approach.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) with a concentration in education or STEAM-related fields.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
Application Deadline: May 31, 2022
Brebeuf Jesuit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.