Honors English 9 Summer Reading for the Class of 2021
Students must choose one text that they have not already read from the list below and read it by the first day of school. Please purchase a new, clean copy.
As you read, mark at least 10 passages that are particularly vivid and write notes about what seems most compelling in the margins.
Students are encouraged to spend time discussing the text with other incoming honors 9th grade students, but this is not mandatory.
After reading the entire text, review the marked passages and think about how the author uses sensory detail to make the scene vivid and memorable. Be prepared to discuss these in class or on an assessment in class. Students that are not familiar with the term “sensory detail,” are encouraged to research it online.
Students should choose ONE of the following books below:
- Tattoos on the Heart by Fr. Greg Boyle
- I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
- The Round House by Louise Erdrich
- Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
If you have any questions, please contact Christian Neukam at firstname.lastname@example.org.