BREBEUF JESUIT MISSION STATEMENT
Brebeuf Jesuit, a Catholic and Jesuit school, provides an excellent college preparatory education for a lifetime of service by forming leaders who are intellectually competent, open to growth, loving, religious and committed to promoting justice. Fostering a culture of understanding and dialogue, Brebeuf Jesuit seeks and welcomes students from diverse religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Students at Brebeuf Jesuit are called to discover and cultivate the fullness of their God-given talents as a responsibility and as an act of worship.
TITLE OF POSITION: College Counselor
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position reports to the Director of College Counseling.
(Note: The following list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. Others may be assigned, subject to reasonable accommodations.)
- Conduct individual college counseling sessions with junior and senior students and their parents to discuss and formulate college plans.
- Prepare recommendation letters and secondary school reports. Proof student applications and provide guidance to ensure that students are presenting themselves and Brebeuf Jesuit in the highest regard.
- Team with Academic Counselors to provide a 4-year program of advising & support to assigned students in meeting their academic and growth goals.
- Teach students in College Counseling Seminars (groups meet once a week, there is a text and quizzes, focused on the mechanics of the college search and application process).
- Participate with other College Counselors in activities of the Ignatian Scholars Program.
- Create and implement developmentally suited informational programs for students and parents addressing current issues in the areas of college planning, college admission, transition adjustment and financial assistance.
- Establish and maintain productive and successful relationships with admissions representatives and cultivate new relationships with college admissions representatives. Articulate Brebeuf Jesuit’s program of study and services to college admission officers to support the school’s image of excellence.
- Visit college and universities to become familiar with their programs, services and admissions policies. This includes travel to visit college campuses and attending professional development programs when approved by supervisor.
- Attend and/or lead various evening programs throughout the year; including, but not limited to, College Application Workshops for seniors, four grade-level family evening programs for parents, Evening with Colleges annual event, Brebeuf open houses, Colleges Coast-to-Coast program, sophomore college bus trip, Transition to College program, college fairs, etc.
- Provide guidance and support to the faculty in writing letters of recommendations
- Create appropriate print materials for college counseling and college admissions projects.
- Actively participate in professional development. Attend national and state meetings pertaining to college counseling. Maintain active involvement in local, state and national professional college admission planning and counseling organizations.
- Ensure that all services and programs meet the highest ethical and professional standards in accordance with the principles of the National Association for College Admission Counseling and reflect the values of Jesuit education.
- Sensitivity to diversity, openness, and approachability
- Experience in either college counseling or selective admissions work on the collegiate level, knowledge of a wide range of universities, including Ivy League, state university systems, selective and highly selective private schools and private liberal arts and sciences colleges
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in use of technology as it applies to college counseling
- Ability to work as part of a team, but manage own responsibilities with minimal oversight
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience interacting with young adults and their families, school administration and college admissions offices
- Master’s Degree
- Prior experience with Naviance college counseling software
Instructions for Applying
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.