What’s SUP is an initiative started by Brebeuf Jesuit students, faculty and staff who want to spread awareness about decreasing the use of single-use plastics on campus.
Inspired by knowledge of and love for the earth and its inhabitants, we are dedicated to create and sustain at Brebeuf, a culture which refuses single-use plastics, and consciously and actively embraces compostable or reusable materials in the hope that the planet is both healed and renewed.
The Green Team presents What’s SUP to students during Freshmen Orientation.
Left to right: Parker Miller, Faizan Khan, Emily Doehring, Eli Franklin Grace Kitchell, Jack Kovach, Gigi Jenkins, Melanie Marshall, and Caroline Todd
Conservation Club members showing off their reusable water bottles
Why We Are Doing This
“We cannot allow our seas and oceans to be littered by endless fields of floating plastic,” the pope said. “We need to pray as if everything depended on God’s providence, and work as if everything depended on us.”
- 10-20 years for a plastic bag to decompose
- 450 years for a plastic beverage bottle to “decompose” Source
- 90.5% of plastic is never recycled Source
Brebeuf has made some big changes for the 2019-2020 school year;
- The Athletic Department has taken steps to reduce single-use plastics by refusing to buy water bottles and bottled soda in exchange for fountain drinks and nacho trays that are plant-based and biodegradable.
- Athletics has started a partnership with Just Water
- The administration has placed more refillable water bottle stations throughout the entire school.
- The cafeteria is no longer using Styrofoam containers and plastic forks, and has invested in washable plates and silverware!
What Can You Do
- Bring a reusable water bottle to school
- Say no to plastic bottles and wrappers
- Bring your own reusable straws and utensils when eating lunch or use the cafeteria’s
- When packing your lunch, limit the use of plastic bags with the replacement of reusable containers or biodegradable bags
- Spread the awareness!
- Be mindful of your day-to-day plastic use.
- Follow Brebeuf Conservation Club on Twitter and Instagram @gogreenbrebeuf
When Did This Launch
What’s SUP is an ongoing process that began in the spring of 2019 to eliminate the presence of single-use plastic bottles and bags on Brebeuf Jesuit’s campus.
What’s SUP Gear
What’s SUP shirts and reusable bags are now available for purchase. Shirts are available for $15.00. Reusable bags are available for $6.00. Click the button below to make your order.Order What’s SUP Gear
Error: There is no connected account for the user gogreenbrebeuf. Feed will not update.